Monday, August 27, 2012

No Excuses


Ezekiel 3-  17 “Son of man I have made you a watchman for the people of Israel. Whenever you hear a word from my mouth you shall give them warning from me.  18 If I say to the wicked ‘You shall surely die,’ and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, in order to save his life, that wicked person shall die for his iniquity, but his blood I will require by your hand. 19 But if you warn the wicked and he does not turn from his wickedness, or from his wicked way, he shall die for his iniquity, but you will have delivered your soul. 20 Again, if a righteous person turns from his righteousness and commits injustice and I lay a stumbling block before him, he shall die. Because you have not warned him, he shall die for his sin, and the righteous deeds he has done will not be remembered, but his blood I will require by your hand. 21 But if you warn the righteous man not to sin, and he does not sin, then he shall surely live, because he took warning, and you will have delivered your soul.”

                As a Christian the first time I read these verses just a couple of weeks ago I was greatly troubled.  It bothered me so much that I am still losing sleep over it.  The reason that this passage bothers me so much and should bother you too, my Brothers and Sisters in Christ, should be quite clear but I will spell it out.  God has given us the charge of spreading the gospel all over the world.  As a matter of fact that is exactly the last thing Jesus commanded us to do before his departure to heaven (Matthew 28:18-20).
                So Jesus has commanded us to go spread the Gospel around the world and has entrusted us with his Holy word as a means to do that.  This was God giving us the warning to spread among the wicked so that they might acknowledge their sins and turn from them.  Who is the wicked? Everyone is wickedRomans 3:23- “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”  No one in the world can be considered righteous on his/her own merits because we have all broken God’s law in some way.
                What does Ezekiel 3:17-21 have to do with this?  My friends, what God told Ezekiel is that if God told him to warn a wicked man to turn from his sins or die and Ezekiel did not do it then when that person reaped the fruit of his sin (as stated in Romans 6:23) then God will hold Ezekiel accountable for that man’s death.  It is the same with you and me, if we know someone who is living in sin and we don’t try to reach them with the Gospel of Christ even though we know we should.  When we stand before God on our Judgment Day, then God is going to hold us responsible for that person’s fate.
                Can you imagine that? God is the Creator, Father, King, and Judge.  His goodness is perfect in every way and because of that He is going to sentence unrepentant sinners to Hell because that is what is required.  He is going to do that even though He created those sinners in his image because he is a Just Judge who always does what is right even though it might break His heart.  How would you like to stand before God and have Him question you as to why you didn’t do as He commanded you and share the Gospel with one of His children therefore forcing God to sentence His  own creation to an eternity in Hell.  Can you imagine the anger and the pain? It’s making me sick just thinking about it.
                We can make up all sorts of excuses to put off sharing the Gospel with someone.  “I’m scared of what they will think?” “I’m too young.” “I haven’t been a believer long enough.” “I just don’t know enough yet.” All of these excuses sound very good in our own ears.  I am guilty of it too, especially that last excuse.  But after I finished reading the book of Ezekiel I went on to read the book of Jeremiah and God had an answer for me there in the first chapter.

Jeremiah 1: 6 Then I said, “Ah, Lord LORD! Behold I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth.” 7 But the LORD said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am only a youth’; for to all whom I send you, you shall go, and whatever I command you, you shall speak. 8 Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, declares the LORD.”

                You want that simplified? No excuses accepted.  God has given us the Bible as his Holy Word and with it we are supposed to proclaim the Gospel to everyone.  Whether we are young or old, as long as we keep striving to further the Gospel, God will give us the words and wisdom to use His Word to reach his lost, rebellious children. 
                So here I am writing this.  If you are a Christian reading this then I hope what God told Ezekiel and Jeremiah affects  you like it did me and that it motivates you to do what you can to spread the Gospel.  That is why am writing this.  This will be the first of hopefully many writings that are meant to strengthen and encourage my Brothers and Sisters in Christ , and at the same time, teach those who do not know Christ more  him so that they might understand the extent of his sacrifice for them.  For the Gospel is good news indeed.
                Romans 3: 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. 24 and are justified by his grace as a gift through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith.  This was to show God’s righteousness, because in his forbearance he had passed over former sins. 26 It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment